Advice to Europcar customers on the abolition of the paper counterpart to the UK photocard licence.
From 8 June 2015, UK driving licence holders hiring within the UK will need to use “Share Driving Licence”, the new online service from the DVLA, for validation of their driving record.
How will this affect the way you hire a vehicle?
From 8 June 2015, the paper counterpart to the photocard driving licence will no longer be valid. UK driving licence holders hiring within the UK will instead need to use “Share Driving Licence”, the new online DVLA service, for validation of their driving record.
- DVLA: Will provide an online service which you will need to access 72 hours before collecting your vehicle. The service generates a one-time passcode, which is valid for a maximum period of 72 hours, and requires the driver to submit their driving licence number, national Insurance number and postcode. This passcode must be presented when picking up any rental vehicle from Europcar.
- Not working?: Any drivers unable to obtain a passcode should contact the DVLA on 0300 083 0013 (Mon-Fri 9am-5pm)
- Alternatives: Europcar can help drivers obtain the passcode by giving them access to ‘Share Driving Licence’ when picking up the vehicle, provided the driver brings their National Insurance number.
- Keep in mind: You will need to have your National Insurance number at hand when you are accessing the DVLA website - either at home, or at our premises.
- UK licence holders hiring abroad: will be unaffected
- Non-UK licence holders hiring in the UK: will be unaffected
- More Info: Watch the official DVLA overview video about the changes by clicking here
3 simple steps and you're on the road!
- Go to the DVLA website, no earlier than 72 hours prior to your hire by clicking here
- Follow the instructions to get your licence check code and PDF
- Bring this code or the PDF with you when collecting your vehicle